Classic Food Debate: Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip

First a disclaimer:  I generally do not like any weirdly colloidal substance on my sandwich.  I'm firmly rooted in the Mustard-or-Bust camp.  That being said, certain summer salads just don't work with Gulden's or Boar's Head White Wine Horseradish mustard.  So, decisions have to be made in the whole colloidal white jiggly condiment category:  mayonnaise or Miracle Whip.

I must admit, for years I was operating under the assumption that Miracle Whip was the Sweet & Low of the Mayo world -- a chemical knock off.  However, a wrench got tossed into the works once I realized it wasn't a knock off, just a different style and a different process.

So I decided to make some cole slaw to go with the buffalo hot dogs in my fridge, and I'm once again standing in the supermarket wondering which one to go to.  There are so many new offerings -- dressings specifically made for cole slaw, mayo made with olive oil, mayo with added omega 3 fatty acids.  But I like to build the flavor, not have it built for me -- so I did a side-by-side comparison of Hellman's Mayo and Miracle Whip, and I was kinda shocked by the results:  Hellman's had almost the same number of chemical names in it (Soybean oil, whole eggs, vinegar, water, egg yolks, salt, sugar, lemon juice, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA)  than the Miracle Whip (water, soybean oil, vinegar, sugar, modified cornstarch, eggs, (contains less than 2% salt, mustard flour, paprika, spice, natural flavor, potassium sorbate, enzyme modified egg yolk, dried garlic)) but just in a different order.

What it came down to was really a difference in taste (de gustibus non est disputandum).  I knew I'd be tarting it up either way, so I looked at the nutrition labels.  Hellman's clearly lost that battle to Miracle Whip in terms of calories and fat (MW has more sugar/salt, but I'd need to add salt and perhaps sugar to the slaw, and it was negligible).  But still -- a little bit of label reading yields amazing results.

Robby's Cole Slaw:
2 cups shredded cabbage (I use red cabbage)
1 cup shredded radish
1 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup Miracle Whip
1/8 cup Champagne Vinegar (apple cider or white wine will also work)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Depending on the vinegar, you might need to add up to a teaspoon of sugar,  but try to leave it out if possible.

Mix all of it together.  Chill. Eat.

I divide it into small tupperware containers (4 usually, sometimes 5) to bring to work.

I've also been known to use the slaw as a topper to garden burgers.  Sometimes if I'm feeling frisky, I'll add a diced hard boiled egg into the fray.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment.
I'll do my very best to respond to it in a timely manner!
<3 Robby